Constructions began in 1884 and lasted for two decades. The building opened in 1902, although it should have been finished by 1896 for the Millennium to celebrate the 1000th anniversary of Hungary’s foundation.
The architect, Imre Steindl got his inspirations for the design from London’s Houses of Parliament. The architect, Imre Steindl mixed medieval features with national and his own style. The result is an eclectic classic.