George Salmon (25 September 1819 – 22 January 1904) was an Irish mathematician and Anglican theologian. After working in algebraic geometry, Salmon devoted the last forty years of his life to theology. His entire career was spent at Trinity College Dublin.
The George Salmon monument was first placed on the Trinity campus in 1911, though it didn’t sit in its current location at Parliament Square, but rather in the hall of the museum of the college. The sculpture was John Hughes, and The Irish Times noted at the time that the statue was carved of Galway marble. It was done in Hughes’ studio in Paris, based on photographs of Salmon. The statue has moved around Trinity on several occasions, beginning its life in the hall of the museum before being moved to the small lawn at the end of the library, near to the playing fields.